Sunday, December 7, 2008

when it all comes together...


Regarding "Wide Smiles & Wine Bottles", it's coming along rather nicely. I recently had my acoustic restrung and it's great to have it in my hands again. I replaced the electric guitar I'd recorded with the acoustic, and it sounds quite nice. The mids and highs seem to be missing a bit, but this comes down to mic placement. Regardless, my AT-2020 picks up the acoustic guitar rather well, and I can say I'm pretty happy recording acoustic guitar with it.

When I played it all back (with drums I'd sequenced), it just suddenly seemed to have a life of it's own. I can see my vocal melody working very well over it. Since I removed the electric guitar part, my voice cut through better. Unfortunately, this opened up my ears to some issues with my singing. Yet, this is definitely a good thing, and something to learn from. Quite helpful, actually. I should be able to complete this song soon - I'm not sure if it will appear on the album. I'd like it to, but it may seem a bit out of place, unless I do a kind of remix version.

No comments: