Monday, November 24, 2008

love keeps me going

I was intending to work and hopefully finish a demo of "Everyone Knows" this month, but it's not proving as fruitful or as inspiring as another track, "Wide Smiles & Wine Bottles". I wrote the lyrics over a year ago as a poem titled "The Last Day". It basically described being in the moment: spending the little time you've got left with someone dear to you. Not in any mortal sense, although I guess one could interpret it that way. I did a few vocal attempts this last week and realised I had to further adjust the song and how the words came together. Some lines were omitted altogether. I've come up with a vocal melody I'm happy with. The rest of the challenge lies in bringing the rest of the track to life, above the basic but effective chord progression I wrote on guitar. I'm thinking of using it on piano.

This all reminds me that most anything creative, especially music - tends to evolve during it's process. Trying to keep up with this evolution, choosing what stays and what goes, can either be challenging or frustrating, or both. What keeps me going though, is love for the piece itself - which is rooted in love for another person. All of our emotions, positive or negative - can be used in this manner... a sort of driving force, a motivation. Being that this is my first time writing a full song, it's daunting. But, I know somehow with my vision for it, and the passion born of it - it will come into it's own.

Amusingly enough, part of me feels a bit guilty for putting "Everyone Knows" on the backburner. It's completely normal though. Even it is completely abandoned in context of the album, that's okay too. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss it.

Quote
"There is always some madness in love.
But there is also always some reason in madness."

Friedrich Nietzsche

No comments: