Monday, December 22, 2008

amazingly productive lately


Months ago, I started out writing poems and lyrics to eventually work with. When I felt finished or had nothing more to say, I had 22 of them ready. Unfortunately as I worked with a few to write music for them, I struggled a lot. It was overwhelming. Lately though, I've been writing and playing more with the acoustic guitar and suddenly, new ideas are spilling out. Just a couple nights ago, I came up with a moving melody, and during a short walk, the lyrics and their melody came to me. I came home and tracked a quick demo and really liked what I heard. I did this with a few different songs (having recently finished a demo for "I Am").

Now instead of feeling overwhelmed, I feel... able. But, I'm still left with a bitter feeling about all the content I wrote over the months. It feels useless. I know this isn't true - I can just go through things I've written, update them, make them fit. But it's not always so simple.

I'm looking at getting about 10 acoustic demos done, then going from there for the songs in full production. Some may be left barebones if I find them more effective as guitar and voice.

I think I've found a process that really works for me.

No comments: