Friday, November 21, 2008

my voice is not ready to be heard

I've always felt I could sing well along with many of my favorite songs. Many of them ranged from Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Depeche Mode and Dave Matthews Band. I'm good with pitch, but I'm coming to realise delivery is my problem. It's not as convincing, and a bit throaty. On top of that, my voice is naturally a bit stuffy sounding, unless I sing a little higher. A couple days ago, I recorded some vocals of a song I'd written over a basic piano track. What I heard back definitely needed improvement. I liked the vibe I had, but it wasn't really being cohesive with the piano -- and it wasn't a composition issue, it was just how I sung it.

Initially I got extremely discouraged -- I considered selling all my gear. I do not want to just write instrumental music. I want to use my voice, as I enjoy writing and I want to express these things vocally. The voice is one of the most moving "instruments" there is. I am torn between whether one has the potential to develop a good singing voice, or if it comes down to "you got it or you don't". I lean towards the latter.

Regardless, I still feel there is this potential there. Perhaps exercises and warmups aren't futile, and I should commit to them. It's like... I know somewhere in me, I can do this. But what I'm hearing isn't entirely encouraging.

Quote
"To catch a song, you have to think like a song."
Tom Waits

No comments: