Wednesday, November 19, 2008

coffee shops never fail to inspire

I've been visiting Copper Rock Coffee somewhat frequently lately, bringing the Strat. Just being in a different, warm environment helps. I can barely hear what I'm playing, but I'm not any less productive. I've come up with a few pieces for various songs, and altogether I have about 7 or 8. I can't say for sure that I will use each of them for any of the songs I tied them to, as I don't want to be too rigid. But all these pieces are assets I can choose from - if they fit, great. If they don't, I write more.


I also wrote a song that feels a bit more folk-ish, which although I enjoy the genre, it's not something I usually write. Perhaps it will appear in different form on the album. I'm trying to balance the album's lyrical content. A lot of it has been dealing with negative people and negative situations, but I have enough positive to draw from that I want to include.

As far as schedule or time constraits, I'm still not comfortable with these. I do know I would like to get at least 1 or 2 songs written by the end of November, and get a 3rd done in December. I've been waking up like a normal human being lately, so I'm considering a 10 AM to 10 PM writing/recording "shift".

I've been pretty inspired by Billy Howerdel's project "Ashes Divide". Billy was the guitarist in A Perfect Circle, a band that Maynard James Keenan of Tool fronted. Checkout this remix of an AD song - it's beautiful, and summarizes my style and aim more, as I'm not totally using guitar - yet here they are able to create a beautiful, emotional song without a staple instrument of rock:

» http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FyCzz6zpJU "Denial Waits" (Danny Lohner remix)

Quote
"I know people who spend and spend and spend. Every month something new comes out, but it all achieves the same thing. I don't think equipment makes your music, really. That's enough to make your music. You've got to have some soul, man. You hear people who use machines, and their music is technically advanced, but there ain't no soul in it. Shit, music without soul? It's no good to be technical. If music ain't got soul, it's not music."
Tricky

No comments: