Wednesday, November 5, 2008

the muse isn't missing, it's buried

I had an astounding moment earlier attempting a combination of two guitar parts I'd written for seperate songs. One was a chord progression for "beside me lay", the other was a solo-type lead I'd written for "wide smiles & wine bottles". As I was out for coffee the other night with a friend, I brought my guitar and played him the parts. It was here I'd realised they were quite complementary. Two seperate parts I'd never intended to be together... I just had a feeling. So earlier today I recorded the chord progression, then as it played back I recorded the solo part over it.


It was awesome. I had managed to move myself, and that's quite rare. I can get a feel for a song as it's developed, and be very into it - but they don't often connect with me. This did, and it has me feeling positive about the work of this album. Moments like these are few and far between, especially for me. Patience is required in bulk. Persistence pays off.

I'm not sure I'll be using it as it is for the album, again it's very dependent on if I can sculpt a usable guitar tone. Melodically I may use it in some other form (perhaps piano), but the undeniable expressiveness of the guitar really lends itself here.

Quote

"Music is really all about experimentation and lots of
trial and error. It's just
mind-numbingly boring until you hit on
something that works well."

Martin Gore of Depeche Mode

No comments: